Thursday, May 19, 2005

Descension
so now that i'm free, i've been learning how to relax and realizing how much work it takes for me to do just that. my goal is not to simply kick back but to be recreated, my soul refreshed. as a result, more able to love others and give myself to them. perhaps, my wife can glow more brilliantly. in addition to this learning is pondering which direction i need to take with my life now that i'm done with seminary. everyone has been asking that plagued question, what are you going to do now? or are you going to be a pastor? i really don't know the answer to those questions. it's just one small step at a time right now and really a whole lot of searching. so the first thing i turn to in my search to relax and ponder my life is...isolate myself in a dark box where visions appear before me and illuminate my mind a few hours at a time. yes, i go to the movies where i viewed the tense urban drama, crash and joined the hoards of die-hard fans for the midnight showing of episode iii. so far, so good. my summer movies have not disappointed me.

so what do these visions mean? i find my own life story weaving in and out of these stories of descension. both were equally difficult to watch as the viewer is engaged in a world where all things go wrong. the prejudices and choices that the characters in these movies make effect the universe around them. their decisions swing them between villainy and heroic. that tension is none greater than in anakin skywalker. our choices have such eternal ramifications. right or wrong, God's hand is in it. that's been the thread since my graduation. with episode iii, we watch it but we know the story. we know the future. there's redemption and hope. there's something comforting in that because there is a true sense of hope, the promise unfolds in episodes iv-vi. all is dark now it but gets wrapped up three episodes later. this is merely a shadow of the xn story of God's redemptive plan - we too know how it ends but yet we don't often have that kind of confidence in the word of God and take comfort in it. living out the xn life would be nearly impossible without this piece of the story. it's nice being an observer and watching characters wrestle with these tensions on the screen. what would others see if my life in the story of God was illuminated on the screen? i do have real choices to make every moment and face reality in a world that wars against the reign of God. clouded my mind is. there is a sense of fear. weak. i am young skywalker, however, i bear the name of Christ.

for the fans ::

the hardcore at the midnight viewing of episode iii

watching the clone wars on my laptop to prep us as we wait inside two hours before the viewing